~Upholstery grade fabric is needed for upholstery jobs.
~Drapery/garment weight fabrics for lightly used slipcovers ONLY
~Allow additional yardage for pattern matching and shrinkage
~Slipcover fabrics must be pre-shrunk~Fabricare Cleaners will shrink large sections of cloth, free pick-up 1-877-620-3300; laundramat on Madison Avenue has large capacity washers/dryers. We can provide cardboard tubes for rolling fabric after pressing.
~Always try to view fabric samples in the space they will occupy. Light reflected off wall color or coming through windows can drastically change the appearance of a fabric.
We offer several lines of upholstery fabrics for our clients, with expert advice and sample books which may be checked out, so you can take them home and consider your selection in your own environment. Our clients are also welcome to do more shopping on their own. Our local fabric store is Esther's, currently offering only a small but beautiful selection of in-stock home decor fabrics. Also on Winslow Way, several shops offer home decor and furniture. Fabrics offered by a furniture manufacturer can often be ordered by the yard, and several shops carry fabric lines available only through designers. Many excellent interior designers work on Bainbridge, and can assist you in finding fabric through other sources.
Beyond the island, there are several big fabric store chains in the area. Jo-Ann's (in Silverdale and many other locales) is a national chain, and has a wide selection of in-stock and special order (samples) decorator fabrics. Hancock's Fabrics is another national chain, and though several locations have closed in recent years. Pacific Fabrics is a Washington state chain, with a smaller shop in East Bremerton as well as their outlet store in Seattle's SoDo neighborhood and their beautiful Galleria store on Northgate Way. Calico Corners is a national chain that carries only decorator fabrics, some offerings exclusive to them.
1. Esthers, 181 Winslow Way E Suite D (Behind Heart); Selected fine decorator fabrics on rolls; 206 842-2261
2. Dana’s Showhouse and Furnish Bainbridge, 278 Winslow Way E: Quality fabrics available on custom furniture and by the yard. 206 842-6945
3. Embellish, 285 Winslow Way E; Designer Assistance, fabric lines include Lee. 206-780-2592
4. JoAnn Fabrics, Silverdale Plaza, National Chain; stock fabrics on rolls; order samples available; value prices; poly-fill pillow forms; great sales and discount coupons (get on mailing list); 50% off once a month. NOTE: Do NOT buy their flat-fold decorator fabrics, they are often damaged or flawed. 360 692-1300
5. Pacific Fabrics, East Bremerton, 4214 Wheaton Way; Larger stores in Seattle's SoDo and Northgate areas; a selection of better decorator fabrics, trims, down and ploy-fill pillows. 360 479-4214
6. Hancock Fabrics, Kirkland, Tacoma (check before traveling). Another large chain fabric store, carries a wide selection of decorator fabrics at reasonable prices, including vinyl, trims and special-order fabrics.
7. Calico Corners, 104 Bellevue Way SE (425) 455-2510 3225 Alderwood Mall Blvd, Lynnwood);National chain specializing in decorator fabrics and trims, they get exclusive fabrics not available elsewhere. All items are now by special order only.
Portland has several destination fabric stores. Principally I recommend
The Whole 9 Yards, http://w9yards.com/a store dedicated solely to home decor fabrics, many in stock options, excellent prices and assistance. 1820 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214, (503) 223-2880